Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ikea Hacks


While laidback is all about the home and living stylishly, once college and dorm living was a rap, Ikea furniture to us was presumably a thing of the past. I can't stand the crowds,or the brilliant marketing mechanism that almost forces you to go through the entire store to prevent from getting lost before leaving with that 1 intended kitchen item, so I was saying goodbye. Now always open to innovative approaches to old and used furniture or less expensive furniture,IKEA, I decided to revisit the store with an open mind, open even more so by the site ikeahacker that I found several months ago.

As a techie I was loving the idea of someone hacking or disabling and then reconfiguring furniture. So here is one of my favorite hacks. Not exactly what I would do, so I dare to expound on a more graphic approach to this hack.

1- The expedit shelving unit with the retro wall paper could be a good place for me to store the tons of inspirational magazines that I have or even put the pillows on display.

But I would:
a- either color block the backs panels of the shelves with either a bright contrasting checkerboard of brown and orange, celadon and brown or a very graphic luster of black and white with the outside of the case being a lacquered red color.

b-fill the panels with some quirky messages by putting a word in each cube creating a puzzle.

c- Or better yet measure out the entire unit, set up a photoshop or illustrator file the size, fill it in with one of my own pieces of art or graphics and have it printed on vinyl or have individual panels silk screened and staple the fabric or vinyl to the back of the unit.

d- decoupage certain back panels, paint others

The possibilities are endless. What would you do?

No comments: