Monday, June 25, 2007

Wiley(n) Out!!

Equestrian Portrait of the Duke of Lerma

Kehinde Wiley Willem van Huythuysen 2006

Albert and Nikolaus Rubens, the Artist's Son 2006

I am a fan of painter Kehinde Wiley who depicts black men in traditional and mostly classic poses that date back to work from many of the masters in contemporary art. He has hip hop heads posing and the brothers form the block posing in classic styles familiar to those seen in the early 1800's. Dwayne Wade, and LL Cool J are some of the portraits that he has created in striking artistic poses. I am waiting for him to show in NY again. Check out some of his work here. I would love to see my son looking all powerful posed on top of a wild horse similar to his "Equestrian Portrait of the Duke of Lerma"

1 comment:

Aquarian Thoughts said...

Cool! I did a post on him a few weeks ago.

http://aquarianthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/05/kehinde-wiley.html

Isn't his work phenomenal??

Goodnis